An international passport, also known as a passport, is a travel document issued by a government to its citizens for international travel. It serves as proof of the identity and citizenship of the holder and allows them to travel to foreign countries. The passport contains personal information such as the holder’s full name, date of birth, photograph, and signature, as well as other details such as the passport number, issue and expiry date, and country of issuance.
International passports are recognized as a universally accepted form of identification and are issued by most countries around the world. They are essential for international travel and are required by immigration officials at border crossings to verify the identity and citizenship of the traveler.
International passports are typically valid for a specific period of time, usually between five and ten years, depending on the issuing country. It is important to note that a passport is a valuable document that should be kept in a safe and secure place, as it can be difficult and time-consuming to replace if lost or stolen.
Why do I need a passport?
You need a passport for several reasons, especially if you plan to travel internationally. Here are some reasons why having a passport is essential:
- Proof of Identity: A passport is a most widely accepted and recognized document that proves your identity and citizenship. It contains your name, photograph, date of birth, and other personal details, and confirms that you are a citizen of the country that issued it.
- International Travel: A passport is necessary if you plan to travel internationally, as it allows you to enter and exit foreign countries. Most countries require a valid passport to grant entry to foreign nationals.
- Visa Applications: If you plan to visit a foreign country, you may need to obtain a visa in addition to your passport. A passport is a necessary document to apply for a visa, as it confirms your identity and citizenship.
- Security: Passports contain many security features that make it difficult to forge or duplicate, reducing the risk of identity theft or fraud. This makes it a safe and secure way to travel and proves your identity in case of any emergency situations.
- Business Transactions: If you travel frequently for business purposes, having a passport is essential, as it is a universally accepted form of identification. It helps to facilitate international business transactions and communication with clients or partners.
In short words, a passport is an important document that serves as proof of your identity and citizenship, allowing you to travel internationally and conduct business in foreign countries. If you plan to travel internationally, it is crucial to have a valid passport as it is required for entry into most foreign countries.
Steps to Apply for an international passport in Nigeria
A more in-depth guide on how to apply for an international passport in Nigeria. Please find below a detailed step-by-step guide:
Visit the Nigerian Immigration Service website
The first step in getting an international passport in Nigeria is to visit the official website of the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) at https://portal.immigration.gov.ng. The website is where you can start the application process for the passport.
Register on the portal
Once you have accessed the NIS website, the next step is to register on the portal. To register, click on the “Passport” menu and select “ePassport Application Form”. You will be prompted to create an account on the NIS portal by providing your email address and creating a password. Ensure that the email address you provide is valid and accessible as you will receive important updates and notifications from the NIS regarding your passport application.
Complete the application form
After creating an account on the NIS portal, you can start the passport application process by completing the application form online. You will be required to provide accurate information about yourself, including your full name, date of birth, address, and contact details.
Choose the type of passport you want to apply for
There are two types of passports that you can apply for in Nigeria – a 32-page passport and a 64-page passport. The 64-page passport is more expensive but is suitable for frequent travelers. Choose the type of passport that best suits your needs.
Pay the application fee
After completing the application form, the next step is to pay the passport application fee. The application fee can be paid using any of the available online payment options, such as credit/debit cards, bank transfer or cash payment at designated banks.
Schedule an appointment
Once you have paid the passport application fee, you will be prompted to select a convenient date and time to visit the passport office for your biometric capture and document submission. Ensure that you choose a date and time that is convenient for you and that you are available to attend the appointment on the chosen date.
Gather the required documents
Before attending your appointment at the passport office, it is important to gather all the required documents that will be needed for the passport application. These documents include:
- Application payment confirmation slip
- Completed application form
- 2 passport-sized photographs (recent)
- Birth certificate or declaration of age
- Local government letter of identification
- Completed guarantor’s form (signed by a person of good standing in the society)
Ensure that all the documents are complete and accurate before attending the appointment at the passport office.
Visit the passport office
On the day of your appointment, go to the passport office where you will have your biometric data (fingerprints and photograph) captured and your documents verified. Ensure that you arrive at the passport office on time and have all the required documents with you.
Submit your application
After your biometric data has been captured and your documents have been verified, you will be required to submit your application. Submit the completed application form and the required documents to the passport office. Ensure that you receive a copy of the receipt that will be issued to you.
Collect your passport
After processing, your passport will be ready for collection at the passport office where you submitted your application. You will receive a notification when it is ready for collection. Ensure that you collect your passport on time and have the receipt issued to you during your submission.
In conclusion, the process of getting an international passport in Nigeria can be straightforward if you follow the steps outlined above. It is important to ensure that all the required documents are error free.